Re: A point on email clients

Luke Davis

Vincent, I observe that you are already using Gmail. That leads to two points: you must be okay with giving them access to your email, so why not the big Microsoft overlord? Tongue in cheek of course. The second point is more relevant: have you considered using the Gmail web interface for your mail? If I recall correctly, there are at least two modes you can use that in; one of them might work in a way you enjoy.

Just a thought.

All that said, if you are using a local IMAP client, be it outlook or windows mail, or anything else, Microsoft or not, the provider shouldn't have any access to your mail. That is not generally how it works. I imagine there would be massive outcry among business customers, if it was learned that MS was sucking in all the mail they transacted using Outlook, especially given Microsoft's well known policy of "if it passes through our servers, it's our data".
So I very much doubt your concern is valid here.

Luke

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019, Vincent Le Goff wrote:

Hi Gene,
Thanks for y6our answer.  Hehe, I think Microsoft has enough data on me, giving it my email doesn't sound great.  But yeah, let's imagine they don't keep
this data!  As I was saying I really can't use Thunderbird much (even writing this somewhat short message is a pain).
I've tried eM client today, light and fast, like I wanted, but not accessible as far as I can tell.  So I guess I will need to find WLM somewhere.  But I
must admit it's a big disappointment to me who places so much on open- source technology, so going from Thunderbird to Microsoft is a downgrade, not in
terms of feature, but in terms of philosophy, if that makes any sense.
Thanks again,
Vincent
On 8/25/2019 6:10 PM, Gene wrote:
What is wrong with using Windows Live Mail?  And what is wrong with using Microsoft products in general?  Some of the utilities and programs
included with Windows are designed to be easy to use and don't have options more advanced or demanding users might want or need.  But a general
avoidance of Microsoft products may lead to unnecessary problems or unnecessary time and effort looking for something else that works well.

Windows Live Mail is completely accessible.  you can use the old menu version or the newer ribbon version.  You have to get it from someone, because
Microsoft no longer supports and distributes it.