De: Tony Malykh
Enviado:domingo, 25 de agosto de 2019 18:09
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: Re: [nvda] NVDA in Emploandenp

My two cents: I use NVDA at work. My reasons are:

1. Superior scripting. I wrote half a dozen NVDA add-ons that greatly

boost my productivity. For example, IndentNav, TextNav, BrowserNav.

Writing similar scripts for Jaws would be hard since I'd have to learn

new scripting language, and I was told (correct me if I'm wrong) some of

my add-ons would be impossible to implement in Jaws scripting model

since it is more limited in nature.

2. Better maintenance. Let's be honest, both NVDA and Jaws do have bugs.

However I am delighted to observe that NVDA bugs do get fixed in a very

timely fashion. An example of that would be recent breakage of

Notepad++, that was fixed within only 10 days. To give you example from

the other side, command prompt in Jaws had been broken for two years

(approximately entire 2016 and 2017) and all my attempts to talk to Jaws

customer support ended up with pretty generic messages "we're working

hard on it, but it's not our fault anyways." This was actually the

reason why I switched to NVDA - it is hard to keep your job knowing that

an essential tool can get broken for years.

> it wouldn't be allowed on secure environments due to being open source.

It is allowed at my work. Now I've indeed heard of cases when IT

department wouldn't allow you to use NVDA with this excuse. It is

important to understand the difference between real reasons and excuses.

This one sounds to me like an excuse - there is nothing whatsoever in

open-source software that makes it inherently insecure. However there

are people in IT departments, who are lazy, and sometimes dumb - pardon

my French. And in order to avoid doing a little bit of work, they might

just reject NVDA with this excuse. On the positive side, it seems to me

this happens rarely enough these days.

--Tony