Re: NVDA in Employment

if open source software are not secure how is Linux powering most web servers?
some1 can make changes to the Linux kernel and do what they want.

Hi Kelly,

I see the skim reading question has been addressed, and I'll leave others
to answer which screen reader they prefer, but in terms of using NVDA in a
work environment, we certainly do have a lot of users who use NVDA in that
context, both employees and also employers or institutions setting up NVDA
in say, university labs, libraries or other public computers.

For anyone looking into this either as an employer or an employee looking
for information for their workplace, we have a page at
https://www.nvaccess.org/corporate-government/ which answers a lot of
common questions (including the security options within NVDA, and
addressing the (unfounded) concern around the security of open-source
software.

If anyone (or any potential employers) have any lingering concerns, please
do get in touch (or get them in touch) with us - info@... is the
easiest way - and we'd be happy to discuss any concerns.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 9:38 PM kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...>
wrote:

Hi, everyone,

I hope this isn't too off-topic. I recently heard an argument that NVDA
is
bad for blind prospect's in employment because it is the "dumbed down"
solution. The person arguing this elaborated, saying that NVDA is not
customizable/flexible enough (too chatty"), that it was not able to be
scripted as easily, it didn't work well with as much proprietary
software,
and that it wouldn't be allowed on secure environments due to being open
source.

So my question is this: how many people here use NVDA for work, and is
there a notable dilerence in level of usability with JAWS?

Also, does NVDA have a skim reading feature like JAWS?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org