Re: NVDA in Employment

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Thanks for pointing out this page.  It may not be detailed enough for some, but I found it a useful overview.

I was interested to see that NVDA is compliant only up to WCAG 2.0AA.  Is there a timeline for 2.1 compliance, or does the new revision not contain enhancements that effect nvda?

Thanks,

Erik

On August 25, 2019 11:28:43 PM "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi Kelly,

I see the skim reading question has been addressed, and I'll leave others to answer which screen reader they prefer, but in terms of using NVDA in a work environment, we certainly do have a lot of users who use NVDA in that context, both employees and also employers or institutions setting up NVDA in say, university labs, libraries or other public computers.

For anyone looking into this either as an employer or an employee looking for information for their workplace, we have a page at https://www.nvaccess.org/corporate-government/ which answers a lot of common questions (including the security options within NVDA, and addressing the (unfounded) concern around the security of open-source software.

If anyone (or any potential employers) have any lingering concerns, please do get in touch (or get them in touch) with us - info@... is the easiest way - and we'd be happy to discuss any concerns.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 9:38 PM kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@...> wrote:
Hi, everyone,

I hope this isn't too off-topic. I recently heard an argument that NVDA is bad for blind prospect's in employment because it is the "dumbed down" solution. The person arguing this elaborated, saying that NVDA is not customizable/flexible enough (too chatty"), that it was not able to be scripted as easily, it didn't work well with as much proprietary software, and that it wouldn't be allowed on secure environments due to being open source.

So my question is this: how many people here use NVDA for work, and is there a notable dilerence in level of usability with JAWS?

Also, does NVDA have a skim reading feature like JAWS?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager