Re: NVDA in Employment

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Hi Jene,

On August 25, 2019 5:39:25 PM "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

It appears to me that you are trying much too hard from what looks to me to be a defend NVDA position rather than a what is in the real world position.

The world is changing.  15 years ago we couldn't have this conversation at all.  Now it's a hot debate.  I'm successfully using NVDA in a variety of real world situations every day for work and school.  If it isn't perfect, it has risen to every challenge, and I have certainly not taken the time to master advanced features or experiment with official add-ons that would greatly enhance my productivity.  Interest I have, time not so much.  I'm also substantially envolved in suing companies for discrimination and creating employment programs for employers and blind employees in Canada.  I also handle some high level accessibility testing and quality analysis.  I'm just about to start a contract with Nelson Publishing for example to do various types of software quality control and accessibility evaluation.  I've also done significant paid training on jaws, and I assure you, my jaws training customers are not so happy campers.  I hate unhappy customers, especially when there in't a damn thing I can do about it.  I think my experience makes my opinion count for something, but unless supported by fact, it remains just that, an opinion.

NVDA has no way for the user to designate frames and have things happen in those frames.  There may be technical reasons why NVDA can't have that feature.  But it is a significant deficiency for some, perhaps many, work situations and other settings where customization is necessary.

Frames are a neat feature.  I used them a fair bit and often set them up for training customers to do various things.  Frames aren't exactly the most stable solution though.  If the size or position of the program window changes your frames start doing very funny things.  If your software gets an upgrade the position of features can be reset in the interface, or jaws can fail to recognize the new version as the same software altogether.  The script files that generate the frames can get corupted.  All kinds of things can happen.  Even with voiceover hotspots which are a lot easier to implement than frames, you get most of these issues.  It's infinitely more reliable to expose all UI elements to a standard API, and let a screen reader interact with them directly.  The elements can go anywhere on the screen, you get more events, and standard keyboard shortcuts can be used.  All in theory of course, but significant development work has proven the theory and this is the direction the market is headed.

Can NVDA be made to indicate a capital letter when using read to end or up and down arrowing, reading by line?  This is important in the workplace and anywhere else where people proof materials such as reports or papers, as in schools and colleges.

I don't know the answer to this.  Though it could potentially be useful to me in my programming I get so much information from speech that I haven't missed this piece.  However, my word processor and various code editors will point out misuse of capitals, and find and replace will let me quickly match case on any instance of a variable or proper noun.

Also, it is my recollection, that JAWS can be made to indicate extra spaces in a document.  I suspect it can indicate other things such as two periods, etc, when reading or moving line by line.  Can NVDA do that?

NVDA does have support for repeated text, but I have never had a use for anything as fine tuned as what you're describing.  I leave two spaces between sentences as a matter of course, and so having that announced might not be as usefull as all that.

While it may be that standards are being implemented more in software, I doubt the implementation is anywhere near adequate in the wide range of programs used by businesses.

Of course not.  It may take another decade or two before the trend is fully actualized.  Ontario for example has a barrier free target of 2025.  They'll never make it, even though efforts are ramping up.

It's a trend powered by massive legal precedent and legislation around the world and backed by a groundswell of social innovation in which NV Access is a world leader.  It's benefits to us are unparalelled.  why would we bary our heads in the sand and hope the change never comes?  In this case, I believe it's better to embrace the change and, in as much as possible and desireable, direct the change so that we get the maximum benefit from it.