Re: NVDA in Employment

Sean Murphy

All,

The open source comments are correct with one difference. When a Enterprise uses an open source product like Linux. They will purchase a support contract with the vendor. Such as Red Hat or Ubuntu. Thus is something goes wrong, they have a means of getting it addressed plus there is commercial liability with the open source vendor.

I am using the OS’s as an example. I am not sure if other major well known open source products use the same model or not. I would be surprised if they do not. As how else do they make money? Mozilla Firefox is one company I am not sure how they make money as Firefox is open source.

A commercial company normally wants the ability of holding an vendor to counter ability to quality, addressing issues, ETC. Especially if the product is in a core area of the company. In saying this, there are companies normally small to medium in size which might not necessarily follow this model.

My experience with screen readers in which they adopt falls into the level of support and who they can hold countable to when issues arise. I have not looked and not sure if NVDA provides such a model. If not, then this might be an opportunity.

Be aware, there are some people in the decision path in major organisations who will not look at Open source if there is no service agreement who they can take to town if something goes wrong. If this was not true, then open source office applications would dominate the market, but they don’t for the reasons I have described above.