Re: Scope of the Calibre addon

Jens Gierke

Hi Ollie,

thank you for your mail.
The copyright argument is really a poor one. As sighted person you can
select text with the mouse in the book and copy it somewhere else.
And the copyright argument becomes even more ridiculous as Calibre
contains an editor for editing ebooks - at least DRM-free ones...
So I will stay unpacking Epubs and read the containing HTML files until
I will find the time to work on a contribution for Calibre...

Best regards,
Jens

Am 04.09.2019 um 13:42 schrieb Mallard:

Hello,

As far as I nkow, ebooks in the Calibre Viewer are presented as images,
or encrypted somehow, so they can't be read. In order to see the text,
you have to use the OCR function in NVDA, which is absolutely out of the
question.

When I asked the devs what is the reason behind this behaviour, I was
told it's because of copyright...

It honestly escapes me why ebooks aer copyrighted only when a blind
person has to read them, while sighted people can read the text without
issues...

I'd somewhat understand this if it applied only to drm-protected books,
but it applies to anything... Even to drm-free books.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 31/08/2019 14:27, Jens Gierke ha scritto:
Hi,

I'm irritated about the Calibre addon for NVDA. Does it allow reading
ebooks with Calibre or is it only to make use of the converter
capabilities? Even with the addon installed I'm not able to read any
book content in Calibre's ebook viewer. There is no browse mode and also
the review cursor/object navigation doesn't help.

Best regards,
Jens