NVDA treating an interactive shell running under command line a little bit odd - php interactive interpreter

Jacob Kruger

Since my primary work is as a web developer, working under PHP, etc., at times, I might want to just use the command line interface of the PHP interactive interpreter to carry out some tasks in sort of real-time.

Anyway, since I have made sure php.exe for my current development environment is included in my system path variable, this means that from the command line = cmd.exe - I can type in php -a, and it will activate the interactive console.

The funny thing is NVDA will read out any responses, or output, or error messages to me - for example, typing in the following line:

echo "hello world";

But, it doesn't read out any typing/input to me, which means I keep on wanting to review what I've typed in before executing it - and, yes, it can read line, word, characterr, etc. as per usual.

Now, this is not the end of the world, but, I find it odd, and, for example, as a test, if I turn off NVDA, and bring up MS narrator, running under windows 10 64 bit v. 1903, then narrator treats that console perfectly normally, and, before activating the PHP interactive interface, NVDA does read out everything to me.

Now, in case relevant, here's a bit of the NVDA log that I pulled out while this interface was active:

IAccessible accName: u'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe - php  -a'
IAccessible accRole: ROLE_SYSTEM_CLIENT
IAccessible accState: STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSED, STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSABLE, STATE_SYSTEM_VALID (1048580)
IAccessible accDescription: None
IAccessible accValue: None

Lastly, just in case, and since I have quite a few different add-ons installed, I did also try restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled, and, it made no difference.

Thoughts?

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

On 2019-09-06 11:12 AM, Aine Kelly Costello wrote:
No, I looked there in the tree view and it doesn't appear ...

On 6/09/2019, at 10:48 AM, Jacob Kruger <jacob@...> wrote:

While focused on notepad++, activate NVDA menu, preferences, and input gestures, and then, double-check to see if there's a tree view item for notepad++, with something like 6 commands listed under it?

That's what shows up here on my laptop?

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
On 2019-09-05 9:44 PM, George Kerscher wrote:

Hi,

I have not tested all the features, but you could try NVDA+shift+backslash, which should announce the linenumber , column number and what is selected.

If that works, the add on is working. I have not gotten the MD function to work, but I have not spent a lot of time on it.

Best

George