Re: Scope of the Calibre addon

Blaster

Thanks for the clarification, Although it's very disappointing.

Blaster

On 9/6/19, Mallard <mallard@...> wrote:
Yes, that's Ebook-converter Gui, which I still have, but it's only for
converting ebooks, and not for reading them.

The Calibre menus have become somewhat more accessible with the advent
of QT5, as far as I understand, but the text within the viewer is still
unreadable by screen readers.

I don't now whether text is encrypted or what, but it appears to be
presented as an image, even if it's text.

Using Win10 OCR, you can read the text, otherwise nothing doing.

The same thing happens in Sumatra pdf, in both pdf and epub files.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 05/09/2019 17:54, Blaster ha scritto:
I remembered reading about a modified front-end version of Calibre
that was created by the former owner of the TechTalk list, Carlos,
Since I don't use ePub I can't tell you if this version will do what
you want it to do, but you can download an installer or a portable
version here and you can give it a try:

Calibre front-end installer:
http://opopanax.net/download/Setup_eBook-convert_GUI.exe

Calibre front-end portable:
http://opopanax.net/download/eBook-convert_GUI_Portable.zip

Both versions require that you have Calibre already installed, this is
just a front-end addon.
As Carlos was an NVDA user, I'm sure it will be totally accessible,
here's an excerpt from the readme file:
Calibre is an application for organizing and converting eBooks. It's
ability to convert between many eBook formats is one of it's more
useful features. Unfortunately, it is not very accessible and
although you can use the included ebook-convert command line utility
to convert files, many people are not comfortable with this approach.
eBook-convert GUI is a so called frontend for the ebook-convert.exe
command line utility. It can convert individual files and entire
folders including subfolders from any supported format to any other.

HTH,
Blaster

On 9/5/19, Mallard <mallard@...> wrote:
Hello Jens,

May I contact you off list?

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 05/09/2019 17:22, Jens Gierke ha scritto:
Hi Ollie,

thank you for your mail.
The copyright argument is really a poor one. As sighted person you can
select text with the mouse in the book and copy it somewhere else.
And the copyright argument becomes even more ridiculous as Calibre
contains an editor for editing ebooks - at least DRM-free ones...
So I will stay unpacking Epubs and read the containing HTML files until
I will find the time to work on a contribution for Calibre...

Best regards,
Jens

Am 04.09.2019 um 13:42 schrieb Mallard:
Hello,

As far as I nkow, ebooks in the Calibre Viewer are presented as
images,
or encrypted somehow, so they can't be read. In order to see the text,
you have to use the OCR function in NVDA, which is absolutely out of
the
question.

When I asked the devs what is the reason behind this behaviour, I was
told it's because of copyright...

It honestly escapes me why ebooks aer copyrighted only when a blind
person has to read them, while sighted people can read the text
without
issues...

I'd somewhat understand this if it applied only to drm-protected
books,
but it applies to anything... Even to drm-free books.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 31/08/2019 14:27, Jens Gierke ha scritto:
Hi,

I'm irritated about the Calibre addon for NVDA. Does it allow reading
ebooks with Calibre or is it only to make use of the converter
capabilities? Even with the addon installed I'm not able to read any
book content in Calibre's ebook viewer. There is no browse mode and
also
the review cursor/object navigation doesn't help.

Best regards,
Jens