What is UI automation in Windows console for?

Vincent Le Goff

Hi everyone,

I recently saw some users advising to turn on the "UI automation in Windows console settings" for those experiencing issues with the Windows console.  I'm relying a lot on this console (that is, cmd.exe, not PowerShell) for development, testing and such.  I couldn't find what this setting was.  I did try to turn it on and, (ho horrors), my Braille display saw nothing but weird characters in the console!  So I quickly turned it off.  Don't know what the synthesizer reports, but my Braille display doesn't report anything consistent, or even readable.

Can someone elaborate on what this setting is supposed to do? There's a good reason it's in "advanced settings", I guess, but if it's bound to be merged and active by default in later versions of NVDA, I will stress that it's not working (at least, in Braille, as far as I could tell).  I couldn't find a document that explained this feature in more details, I might have missed it.

Just curious here.

Cheers,

Vincent