Re: What is UI automation in Windows console for?

Jacob Kruger

Vincent, from the what's new documentation/feature listing:

Use UI Automation to access the Windows Console when available
When this option is enabled, NVDA will use a new, work in progress version of its support for Windows Console which takes advantage of accessibility improvements made by Microsoft. This feature is highly experimental and is still incomplete, so its use is not yet recommended. However, once completed, it is anticipated that this new support will become the default, improving NVDA's performance and stability in Windows command consoles.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

On 2019-09-10 10:41 AM, Vincent Le Goff wrote:
Hi everyone,

I recently saw some users advising to turn on the "UI automation in Windows console settings" for those experiencing issues with the Windows console.  I'm relying a lot on this console (that is, cmd.exe, not PowerShell) for development, testing and such.  I couldn't find what this setting was.  I did try to turn it on and, (ho horrors), my Braille display saw nothing but weird characters in the console!  So I quickly turned it off.  Don't know what the synthesizer reports, but my Braille display doesn't report anything consistent, or even readable.

Can someone elaborate on what this setting is supposed to do? There's a good reason it's in "advanced settings", I guess, but if it's bound to be merged and active by default in later versions of NVDA, I will stress that it's not working (at least, in Braille, as far as I could tell).  I couldn't find a document that explained this feature in more details, I might have missed it.

Just curious here.

Cheers,

Vincent