Re: excel problem

From what I've seen so far I suspect one of two things is at play:

1.  The actual header row and/or column is not defined where you think it is.

2.  You're using the NVDA feature to try to set this up in NVDA itself rather than the Excel feature to set it up in the worksheet.  If you did the latter, you'd still have to turn on the screen reader feature to interact with that Excel feature, if memory serves, but it would carry along with the Excel document itself.

I wrote up the following quite a while back:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Assigning a Title Row (Column Titles) and/or Title Column (Row Titles) in Excel

You can assign column and row titles in Excel. These are nice because they always work with Excel and are saved to the workbook. There's no risk of losing a setting in your screen reader.

To add column and row title names:

1. You will need to have selected one of the three following things, depending on what you are trying to assign:
      1. If you have a cell where the Column and Row titles intersect, gain focus on it.  You will continue through the process, assigning a name that begins with Title, which is how Excel knows this is the intersection point.
      2. The first column to the right of the intersection point that marks the start of the series of cells that make up the individual column titles across a given row.  You will continue through the process, assigning a name that begins with RowTitle, as this tells Excel these cells are a row of titles for the columns that lie below them.
      3. The first row beneath the intersection point that marks the start of the series of cells that make up the individual row titles down a given column.  You will continue through the process, assigning a name that begins with ColumnTitle, as this tells Excel these cells are a column of titles for the rows to the right of them.
    2. Open the Name dialog:

i.      Open the Formula ribbon (ALT-M)

ii.      Activate the “Define Name” command (M)

iii.      Within the drop-down list, activate “Define Name”

iv.      The “New Name” dialog opens

Focus is placed in the name field. Within the name field, you can name the focused cell or selected range of cells. In this case, we’re naming the column or row title:

1. Prefix the cell name using the following rules

i.  Start the range name with the label that tells Excel you’re creating a title range

1. Title – This tells Excel the column and row that intersect at the active cell are a title row and column
        2. ColumnTitle – This tells Excel the focused column contains the titles for the rows within the range
        3. RowTitle – this tells Excel the focused row contains titles for the columns in the range

ii.      Add a name for the range.  I stick on an underscore then either the name of the workbook if I intend to make the name assignment applicable across the workbook and not usable anywhere else (see step iii, scope) or just leave it without anything else if I want to use it on other worksheets in the workbook.

1. Title_WidgetSales  or just Title
        2. ColumnTitle_WidgetSales or just ColumnTitle
        3. RowTitle_WidgetSales or just RowTitle

iii.      Optional - Add the last cell in the range preceded by two periods

1. Use this when you have multiple regions in a worksheet
        2. Title_WidgetSales or just Title (there is no range for the intersection)
        3. ColumnTitle_WidgetSales..h32 or ColumnTitle..h32
        4. RowTitle_WidgetSales..r12 or RowTitle..r12
        5. Remember the cell address referenced is the last cell in the range for which you are creating titles

The next field in the dialog sets the scope for the name. this is a combo box. Use UP and DOWN ARROW to choose from between:

• Workbook - the title Is unique and can’t be used elsewhere in a workbook
  • A Specific Worksheet - the name can be used elsewhere in a workbook

You can add a comment for the named cell or region, this is strictly for your personal reference and doesn’t affect the echo of the column or row title name

The last field references the cell name or range of selected cells you’re naming. You can leave this field alone.

Activate the OK button to save the name and close the dialog.

Save the workbook and the titles are permanently saved and will work on any computer.

If you have titles set to echo in JAWS, the titles will echo and you won’t lose the settings.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.