Re: 32 vs 64 bit.

Antony Stone

No, NVDA is distributed as a 32-bit binary. That means it will work on both
32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

The change from Python 2.7 to Python 3 is a completely separate question.

Similarly, the dropping of support for Windows XP machines since NVDA 2017.1
is independent of whether the Windows version (and the machine) is 32 bit or
64 bit.

So, no, there is no 64-bit compiled version of NVDA available for download
from the NVaccess website. I assume that there's no technical reason why you
(or anyone else) could not build one if you wanted to (and it's open source
code, so you're welcome to try), but then it would only work with 64-bit
systems, whereas the 32-bit version works with both 32-bit and 64-bit
machines, and is therefore more widely compatible.

Regards,

Antony.

On Tuesday 17 September 2019 at 21:44:18, erik burggraaf wrote:

Hi all, someone is just sent me a question to which I should know the
answer but find that I don't. They are looking for a full 64 bit compiled
nvda. now it seems to me that nvda has been distributed as full 64-bit for
almost a year now.. am I incorrect in thinking this? I was under the
impression that development had gone completely into Python 3, that Windows
XP support had been dropped, and that the system was being compiled in full
64-bit.

at least, I am positive I have seen discussion of these things on the list,
but can't remember the details.

Thanks, Erik

--
I lay awake all night wondering where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.