Re: New add-on for Brother Utilities app

P. Otter

hello Rui,
is it possible to display the ink level with nvda?
i have the dcp j572 dw from brother.
I think you will have the same problem.
do you have the solution?
kind regards
paul otter

Op 19-9-2019 om 17:36 schreef Rui Fontes:

Hello!

What was the extension?

The extra is only to the Brother utilities application, a kind of launcher to other Brother apps...

Any dificultie on those other apps, like in Brother control center?

Rui Fontes

Às 21:53 de 18/09/2019, Robert Logue escreveu:
Thanks Shaun. I downloaded the add on. I just don't know how to install it.  Doesn't seem to have the file extensions that NVDA uses. I used the instructions for installing add-ons in NVDA.

I haven't had the mental energy to tackle the WiFi setup.  I almost think it would be worth the installation fee if I get the tech to describe all the buttons.

Works fine as a printer using standard Windows print commands.

I like that this printer has dedicated buttons.

Bob

On 2019-09-12 3:02 p.m., Shaun Everiss wrote:
you go here

https://github.com/ruifontes/BrLauncher/releases/download/1.0/BrLauncher-1.0.nvda-addon

However I wouldn't bother.

The combo boxes are still as inaccessible as ever.

The documentation doesn't have a command list, it will run as far back is 17.03 and as current is last nvda.

The documentation seems to just be the really basic readme pulled from github.

Now this is from a user looking at this briefly.

The addon works.

But it may as well be a pile of crap for all it does to me.

I don't know how to work it, there is basically no documentation except for a small description about what it does.

There isn't even a keyboard shortcut list.

If at all possible, I would like to see more than a learn more button labeled on the brother utilities and the iprint software.

There is a combobox on brother utilities but that and iprint are pritty much no gos as far as it matters.

Luckily unless you need to reinstall the driver you never have to bother with this really.

In fact depending on what you are doing, you may never need to bother about any of the brother software for basic tasks, both printing and scanning.

If your router or something changes you can edit the printer address as long as you have set that up yourself and configure it from windows and the web interfaces.

Hopefully you won't need to do that that often.

The software is a bit hit and miss, but then its not a problem because you don't need to use that software for scanning and printing which is about all we will ever need it for.

Anything else and well who knows.

The software for most brother things are just front ends for standard dumb users that want to use it.

The web interface is accessible enough for most users.

If you know how to configure a router then you will know how to use the web interface of any device like this.

The brother printer is like that.

On 13/09/2019 2:52 am, Robert Logue wrote:
Hello Rui.  I am very interested in your addon. I just got a Brother laser mfp.

Please. How do I install this addon?

Thanks.

Bob

On 2019-05-18 9:36 a.m., Rui Fontes wrote:
Hello!

It is available an add-on to labell the buttons of this app, used for the Broter printers and multifunctionals and to gave some hints...

The code is available in:
https://github.com/ruifontes/BrLauncher

Direct download:
https://github.com/ruifontes/BrLauncher/releases/download/1.0/BrLauncher-1.0.nvda-addon