Re: NVDA and accessible kindle book

Mary Otten

Well, both advanced type setting and text to speech are enabled for the book, so there goes that theory.

Mary

On 9/23/2019 10:25 AM, John Isige wrote:
I'm guessing somebody already told you. In order for Kindle PC to read
books with a screen reader, it either needs to say it's screen reader
accessible/enabled or whatever they call it, or that it has enhanced
type/typesetting in the book's info. I don't know *why* Amazon set
things up that way, I'm assuming fights with publishers, but I think
that's not the case for some reason with their Kindle apps for mobile
devices. So I suspect what's happening is that this mystery book doesn't
have the required feature enabled, so NVDA can't see it. Of course, I
could be entirely wrong, but that's my guess.

On 9/23/2019 9:40, Mary Otten wrote:
Hi Hope,

If I could choose the sysnthesizer and the speed, I guess I wouldn't
mind letting the Kindle app do the reading. But the synthesizer they
use and the speed with which it reads are both losers in my book. If
the tts within the Kindle application can see the text, and voice over
can see the text, why can't NVDA see it without having to do a page by
page ocr?

Mary

On 9/23/2019 7:07 AM, Hope Williamson wrote:
When I'm reading a Kindle book. I exit NVDA, and let the Kindle do
the reading. Sometimes I start narrator, but it's really unnecessary.

On 9/23/2019 7:01 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
NVDA plus r does yield text. Turning off the synthesizer within the
Kindle app with control t doesn't do anything for nvda, i.e. it
still doesn't read anything. there is obviously text here, or else
the book wouldn't read on my phone. But for whatever reason, NVDA
isn't seeing the text unless you do an ocr. That's not an efficient
way to read a book. I'd sure like to know what's up with Kindle for
pc here.

Mary

On 9/23/2019 3:22 AM, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:
What happens if you use the NVDA key and are to scan the image.
Does it find anything?

Sile
On Sep 22, 2019, at 6:24 PM, Mary Otten <maryotten@...>
wrote:

Hi folks,

This might not turn out to be an NVDA issue, but ...

I use the Kindle for PC with NVDA as well as my phone to read
Kindle books. I just purchased one which, when I open it, a voice
automatically starts reading at a speed that I did not set. It is
apparently the tts that goes into action when the Kindle app
starts reading something, kind of like what happens when you tell
Acrobat reader to read out loud.

In the case of this book, NVDA sees no text at all. All the menus
work. But when I do an insert down to start a read all from the
selected chapter in the table of contents, nothing is read by
NVDA. On my phone using the Voice Over screen reader, this book
reads just fine, thank you very much.

I am aware that there are a few books that you can't read with a
screen reader, period. But this doesn't seem to be one of those,
since it is working fine on my phone. Is there some setting I'm
missing that would allow me to use NVDA and my preferred voice and
speed over the speech that comes from the Kindle program itself?

Mary