Re: NVDA and accessible kindle book

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

You probably already know what to look for but it needs to be screen reader enabled.

Below is off my web site for the kindle tutorial and what to look for it is off my nvda tutorials for other programs page.

When you locate a book, press the Enter key on it to get more information. The next page should tell you what the name of the author is, a brief description of the book, the price and a brief description of the following types of information ...for example Read more. If you want NVDA to read your book, you will need to look for Screen reader: Supported.
An example of the type of information that you might find is given below:

Product details
Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 1634 KB
Print Length: 226 pages
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Publisher: Bella Books (15 March 2019)
Sold by: Amazon Australia Services, Inc.
Language: English
ASIN: B07PG5555P
Text-to-Speech: Enabled
Word Wise: Enabled
Screen Reader: Supported
Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled

Gene nz

On 24/09/2019 6:35 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
Well, both advanced type setting and text to speech are enabled for the book, so there goes that theory.

Mary

On 9/23/2019 10:25 AM, John Isige wrote:
I'm guessing somebody already told you. In order for Kindle PC to read
books with a screen reader, it either needs to say it's screen reader
accessible/enabled or whatever they call it, or that it has enhanced
type/typesetting in the book's info. I don't know *why* Amazon set
things up that way, I'm assuming fights with publishers, but I think
that's not the case for some reason with their Kindle apps for mobile
devices. So I suspect what's happening is that this mystery book doesn't
have the required feature enabled, so NVDA can't see it. Of course, I
could be entirely wrong, but that's my guess.

On 9/23/2019 9:40, Mary Otten wrote:
Hi Hope,

If I could choose the sysnthesizer and the speed, I guess I wouldn't
mind letting the Kindle app do the reading. But the synthesizer they
use and the speed with which it reads are both losers in my book. If
the tts within the Kindle application can see the text, and voice over
can see the text, why can't NVDA see it without having to do a page by
page ocr?

Mary

On 9/23/2019 7:07 AM, Hope Williamson wrote:
When I'm reading a Kindle book. I exit NVDA, and let the Kindle do
the reading. Sometimes I start narrator, but it's really unnecessary.

On 9/23/2019 7:01 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
NVDA plus r does yield text. Turning off the synthesizer within the
Kindle app with control t doesn't do anything for nvda, i.e. it
still doesn't read anything. there is obviously text here, or else
the book wouldn't read on my phone. But for whatever reason, NVDA
isn't seeing the text unless you do an ocr. That's not an efficient
way to read a book. I'd sure like to know what's up with Kindle for
pc here.

Mary

On 9/23/2019 3:22 AM, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:
What happens if you use the NVDA key and are to scan the image.
Does it find anything?

Sile
On Sep 22, 2019, at 6:24 PM, Mary Otten <maryotten@...>
wrote:

Hi folks,

This might not turn out to be an NVDA issue, but ...

I use the Kindle for PC with NVDA as well as my phone to read
Kindle books. I just purchased one which, when I open it, a voice
automatically starts reading at a speed that I did not set. It is
apparently the tts that goes into action when the Kindle app
starts reading something, kind of like what happens when you tell
Acrobat reader to read out loud.

In the case of this book, NVDA sees no text at all. All the menus
work. But when I do an insert down to start a read all from the
selected chapter in the table of contents, nothing is read by
NVDA. On my phone using the Voice Over screen reader, this book
reads just fine, thank you very much.

I am aware that there are a few books that you can't read with a
screen reader, period. But this doesn't seem to be one of those,
since it is working fine on my phone. Is there some setting I'm
missing that would allow me to use NVDA and my preferred voice and
speed over the speech that comes from the Kindle program itself?

Mary