Re: German Braille Input

Sascha Cowley

Hi Bianka,

I set both input and output tables to "German grade 0" in the NVDA Braille settings when experiencing the problem described. I also experimented with grades 1 and 2, and the issues seemed to be, if anything, worse - though that could be that I don't know grade 1/2 German Braille at all.

When set to "German 8 dot computer Braille", I am able to enter ??, ??, ?? and ?? correctly, but I would rather not use computer Braille for now for two reasons: first, a lot of the signs in German computer Braille seem to be very different to those I'm used to, coming from UEB and a little English computer Braille; and second, if/when I go to Germany, or encounter German texts in Braille, I'd like to have some experience with the Braille code under my belt.

Regards,
Sascha

On 24/09/2019 19:19, Bianka Brankovic wrote:

Hi Sascha and list,

??

the signs fort he Umlauts differ whether you are using six-dot or 8-dot braille.

??

I usually don???t use braille input so would have to research the exact braille signs myself.

??

From your description I would guess your braille table has been set to 8-dot braille which is the normal setting for computers.

??

You could do two things here: try to set the braille table to six dot braille.

-?????????????????? Input the umlauts in 8-dot braille.

??

Hope that helps to see things a bit clearer.

??

Kind regards,

??

Bianka