Re: Need help getting NVDA to work with Android Studio Application

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  NVDA is about the best when it comes to providing access with Android Studio.  I have had resonable success in using them for my development work as well as for my own Android and Java projects when using both application and screen reader in tandem, even if NVDA itself is running on 32bit and the Android studio app on my 64bit machine runs on 64 bit as well.  So after you install Android Studio, at the wilcom page, choose configuration, then, choose Appearance and behavior, Arrow down once to Appearance.  Tab to the checkBox that says "Accessibility Panel: Support Screen Readers, Requires Restart".  By default, that CheckBox is Unchecked.  Press the space bar to check it, then tab to the OK button and press enter or space on it.  Now just exit Android Studio and your changes will take effect once you restart the app.  I am not saying the solution is guaranteed to be a hundred percent success, but most tasks you would expect of the Android IDE in question will work satisfactorily enough once you get NVDA going and a few more configuration tweaks will enhance your working experience with it.  Give it a go, and give me a shout if I can be of any help.  Cheers!

On 9/25/2019 8:26 PM, inam naqvi via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,
I am computer science student and I took Mobile programming course. There is Android Studio Application. NVDA screen reading is not reading android studio. I have Downloaded NVDA latest version and JAVA too.

if your screen reader is 64-bit:

  • Ensure that C:\Windows\System32\WindowsAccessBridge-64.DLL is present and has a version number
  • To activate support for screen readers in Android Studio, click File > Settings > Appearance & Behavior > System Settings, check the Support screen readers checkbox, and then restart Android Studio. This setting ensures that the Android Studio experience is optimized for screen reader users, for example by customizing keyboard navigation. If you are using Jaws, remember that you must start Jaws before you start Android Studio in order for this setting to take effect.

I ahve tried above but still not success. Please help me
.
Best Regards
Inam Naqvi