Re: NVDA and reading texts in Grade II

Brian Moore

This is a really good question.  I don't have a braille display to experiment with at the moment so I am only guessing.

As far as I know, there is no hot key to toggle the table used for translation so you couldn't switch from UEB to German grade 2 on the fly.  However, creating two profiles for this should be possible.

I think you will have to switch profiles manually though.  Since both instances will run in word, you don't want to load the profile automatically since the executable filename in both cases will be winword.exe so it wouldn't know which profile to load.

It is entirely to run more than one instance of word on the same computer. I do this regurarly.

Others who actually have a display handy might be able to shed some more light on this.  I think I am correct but can't try it.

Contact me on skype: brian.moore
follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123
On 10/3/2019 10:42 AM, Cordelia Scharpf wrote:

Hello,

Please bear with me for asking a somewhat technical question, which might need to be addressed off-list.

I am working with English and German texts and would like to switch reading them in UEB and German grade II on my Braille display. Is there a toggle that lets me control both languages/tables of contractions? Or do I need to generate and save “profiles” and call them up as needed?

Can such profiles be run side-by-side in two separate windows  on one PC? In my past experience, such a plan did not seem feasible unless I ran two separate MS Word programs installed on different partitions or different PCs.

Best,

Cordelia