Re: Formatting on a Braille Display

Devin Prater

I’d much rather have the actual braille symbols for italics, bold, and such used, instead of a generic highlighting effect. After all, formatting logic is in a braille code for a reason, and I would hope that screen readers would take advantage of Liblouis’ ability to show such formatting.

On Oct 3, 2019, at 3:13 PM, Cordelia Scharpf <CScharpf@...> wrote:

Hello,

You are raising a very important question. I would greatly welcome seeing such characteristics displayed in Braille, which are commonly used in scientific writings for, e.g., book titles that get italicized. The screen readers I have been using to this day use dots 7, 8, or 7+8 or can be made to "blink". I realize that NVDA's original purpose was to make text audible; yet it would be a plus to have such elements also available as a second option--especially for those of us who primarily depend on a Braille display.

Best wishes,
Cordelia