Re: Formatting on a Braille Display

kelby carlson

It's my understanding that JAWS has no problems doing this; I may have to switch back to it at work.

On Oct 4, 2019, at 3:32 AM, Vincent Le Goff <vincent.legoff.srs@...> wrote:

Major +318 for what you've just said. I would welcome Braille accessibility to get more priority in NVDA in general, grateful for what I have, but speech just gets the best of things, first and often solely. And some of us (I for one) don't use anything but Braille (not a matter of choice). To answer the specific question, if configured well, the BrailleExtender addon can display dot-78 on bold or italic or even spelling errors (something I particularly appreciate), but it can't blink. So I usually set it to represent only one format, multiple formats would be confusing, though I suggested blinking (and different blinking speeds to indicate different formats, as some have provided). I agree that, in the end, using the "official Braille representation" for bold, italic and so on is interesting. Trouble is: it's Braille table dependent and not always accurate. sNot all Braille table offer such a syntax. As far as I know, NVDA is still not able to send formatting info to Liblouis for them to be displayed in whatever braille table is being used. Perhaps, one day, hopefully!

Cheers,

Vincent

On 10/4/2019 2:02 AM, Devin Prater wrote:
I’d much rather have the actual braille symbols for italics, bold, and such used, instead of a generic highlighting effect. After all, formatting logic is in a braille code for a reason, and I would hope that screen readers would take advantage of Liblouis’ ability to show such formatting.

On Oct 3, 2019, at 3:13 PM, Cordelia Scharpf <CScharpf@...> wrote:

Hello,

You are raising a very important question. I would greatly welcome seeing such characteristics displayed in Braille, which are commonly used in scientific writings for, e.g., book titles that get italicized. The screen readers I have been using to this day use dots 7, 8, or 7+8 or can be made to "blink". I realize that NVDA's original purpose was to make text audible; yet it would be a plus to have such elements also available as a second option--especially for those of us who primarily depend on a Braille display.

Best wishes,
Cordelia