Re: what is NVDA's com registration fixing tool?

molly the blind tech lover

Hi

Good to know. Sometimes when I close out of a program NVDA says unknown focused. Perhaps running the tool will fix it?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 10:40 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] what is NVDA's com registration fixing tool?

Running the tool won't hurt anything.  it associates certain dll files that may no longer be properly associated in Windows.  It is generally used in cases such as when you are running a browser and you hear unknown when you try to do most things.  I have no idea about the desktop problem being discussed but if it worked, it worked.

but my point is, and if I'm wrong, others will correct me I hope, that there is no harm in running the utility.  If you just run it to see if it corrects this or that probem, you probably won't see a correction, but for circumstances such as I described, you likely will.  I believe the kinds of problems I'm discussing could occur any time you are in browse mode, such as when reading a PDF document in Acrobat Reader.

Also, for those who don't have a reversion system in place, it is very important to have system restore running.  It often isn't running for this or that reason and it can't be assumed to be running.  There are times when system restore is by far the fastest and easiest way to revert a computer to a time when things were working correctly and it avoids doing a lot of trouble shooting in many cases.  So knowing about the utility we are discussing is important but making sure system restore is running and that you have at least one recent restore point available is very important as well unless, as I said, you are using a reversion system, which most people aren't.

Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2019 9:24 AM

Hi
That makes sense