From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2019 3:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] music production with NVDA

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 06:25 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

I think telling someone to just google it defeats the purpose of a mailing list.

That depends entirely on what, exactly, is being asked.   This group (and many others like it) has hundreds of members, and each and every message is an imposition on those other members' time.

There are all sorts of questions where it takes longer to type the message for the list than it would to do a web search, and I'm talking for commonly asked questions.  Asking a question on a group like this along the lines of, "What's the keyboard shortcut in MS-Word to make text bold?," deserves a, "Why on earth did you not do a search for this?"  [It would also be off-topic, but I'm trying to give an illustration of the sort of question where irritation is a perfectly valid reaction when the answer can be found faster, and more easily, without asking it on a mailing list.]

There's also the "who's asking" factor, too.  Someone who's a newbie (to anything) can and should get a lot more slack than those who are known to have a significant knowledge base and level of sophistication.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide