locked Re: music production with NVDA

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 06:37 PM 10/6/2019, Brian Vogel wrote:
That depends entirely on what, exactly, is being asked.? ? This group
(and many others like it) has hundreds of members, and each and every
message is an imposition on those other members' time.
Those members who are very pressed for time need not respond. They can even delete emails solely based on their subjects.

There are all sorts of questions where it takes longer to type the
message for the list than it would to do a web search, and I'm talking
for commonly asked questions.? Asking a question on a group like this
along the lines of, "What's the keyboard shortcut in MS-Word to make
text bold?," deserves a, "Why on earth did you not do a search for
this?"? [It would also be off-topic, but I'm trying to give an
illustration of the sort of question where irritation is a perfectly
valid reaction when the answer can be found faster, and more easily,
without asking it on a mailing list.]
That again depends on how the original poster learns best and what they're seeking in terms of verbal interaction from the list. Most people today understand that email list posts won't return answers immediately, and the answers may not be complete. They're hoping for someone with time and interest to engage with them and orient them in the right direction, which is a different way of conveying information than one typically finds on the internet.

There's also the "who's asking" factor, too.? Someone who's a newbie
(to anything) can and should get a lot more slack than those who are
known to have a significant knowledge base and level of sophistication.
And yet, I've seen newbies humiliated on lists like these for asking very basic questions and needing lots of hand holding. As a previous poster pointed out, hand holding is the entire purpose of an email list, since archival information can be found on the web.

Orlando Enrique Fiol