Sent: Monday, October 07, 2019 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Are web applications that accessible?

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 09:23 AM, Damien Garwood wrote:
So of course, when I see websites refer to keyboard shortcuts, my first thought is, well done for trying, but that's useless to most screen reader users because the screen reader uses its own keystrokes for navigational tasks and other things, meaning they would be blocked.
This is absolutely, positively not typically the case.   In particular because most screen reader commands require the "screen reader prefix key" as part of the command, and virtually no other commands, be they Windows, application program, or web application ever use what is the screen reader prefix key.

There was a time, before Windows itself, when keyboard shortcuts were used pretty much exclusively to work with programs quickly and easily.  They date from the days of DOS, and there are very few that changed since that time.

There are occasions where there may be some overlap, there can't help but be, and even then that's what screen readers have the pass-through-key feature for.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide