Re: Are web applications that accessible?

Sarah k Alawami

Actually remember that Nvda has quick nav keys so if a site says "press f to play the audio" and "f" takes me to the next edit field, I can't do that unless I h put in this case NVDA to sleep with nvda shift z. Or press 8 and 9 to go to the next and pref article etc. I have come across sightws like that. And gmail? You have to be in focus mode to use the short cuts so I switched back to the basic html which is severely limited.

Take care

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 7 Oct 2019, at 7:58, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 09:23 AM, Damien Garwood wrote:
So of course, when I see websites refer to keyboard shortcuts, my first thought is, well done for trying, but that's useless to most screen reader users because the screen reader uses its own keystrokes for navigational tasks and other things, meaning they would be blocked.
This is absolutely, positively not typically the case.   In particular because most screen reader commands require the "screen reader prefix key" as part of the command, and virtually no other commands, be they Windows, application program, or web application ever use what is the screen reader prefix key.

There was a time, before Windows itself, when keyboard shortcuts were used pretty much exclusively to work with programs quickly and easily.  They date from the days of DOS, and there are very few that changed since that time.

There are occasions where there may be some overlap, there can't help but be, and even then that's what screen readers have the pass-through-key feature for.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide