If it were just h, I don't think it'd be an issue. But of course we have everything else (I think J, P, Y and Z are the only letters in the alphabet not to have functions associated with them). Of course many of these are very useful - I use them all the time. But the question then becomes, what takes precedence, NVDA's keys, or the web app's keys? Usually, I tend to find the former. It's only very recently (I'm talking a matter of days) when I learned that you could use shortcuts with focus mode, and that essentially my whole understanding of interfaces and navigation was just wrong on so many levels.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 07/10/2019 04:08 pm, Gene wrote:
Most screen-reader commands, such as h for move by heading, don't require such a key.  If you are going to use a web site shortcut, if you are in browse mode, you may have to use the pass through command first, or switch to forms mode, or, in other words, turn browse mode off.  But NVDA, in newer versions, has a feature that allows you to send web page short cut keys wile still in browse mode.  I haven't used it but it allows you to send commands and allows them to reach the web page where, if not for this feature, browse mode wouldn't allow this.
I believe JAWS has a similar feature.
Those who use this feature will, I hope, comment further.
*From:* Brian Vogel <mailto:britechguy@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Monday, October 07, 2019 9:58 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Are web applications that accessible?
On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 09:23 AM, Damien Garwood wrote:
So of course, when I see websites refer to keyboard shortcuts, my
first thought is, well done for trying, but that's useless to most
screen reader users because the screen reader uses its own
keystrokes for navigational tasks and other things, meaning they
would be blocked.
This is absolutely, positively not typically the case.   In particular because most screen reader commands require the "screen reader prefix key" as part of the command, and virtually no other commands, be they Windows, application program, or web application ever use what is the screen reader prefix key.
There was a time, before Windows itself, when keyboard shortcuts were used pretty much exclusively to work with programs quickly and easily. They date from the days of DOS, and there are very few that changed since that time.
There are occasions where there may be some overlap, there can't help but be, and even then that's what screen readers have the pass-through-key feature for.
*The color of truth is grey.*
~ André Gide