locked Re: blank line reading by NVDA

I actually like blank lines being announced when moving up and down some files.

For me with a training diary I write the only thing I use a wordprocesser for and even then notepad, I actually want to know that information.

I guess it could be an issue when reading a large book but you can turn the announcements of blank lines being announced in nvda preffs speech I think anyway.

I guess when reading a big book in say all you may not want this.

But there are ways round that if you get really concerned about it.

On 9/10/2019 7:56 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
This conversation interests me because it seems to me that two different things are being talked about.

Luke's solution uses a regular expression where the word "blank" itself must be matched, using anchors at each end.  But the original question seems to me to be about lines that contain nothing but a return, that is, a completely blank line, so that if someone typed line one, followed by two hits of Enter, followed by line two it would be read as, "Line one blank blank line two," by NVDA.

It does not seem to me to have anything to do with the word "blank" or its equivalent in any language, so I don't know what I'm missing, if anything at all.

Now using the regular expression:  ^\s*$
with nothing substituted for it should find any line that is blank, whether it's just someone having hit Enter, or any whitespace character followed by enter, and would say nothing if that's found.

If the literal word "blank" were to appear all by its lonesome on a single line it would be read, correctly, as blank.

One would definitely not want to be using this method when proofreading something written in a text editor, as you'd never know if you'd put in paragraph breaks or how many times you'd hit enter when trying to create vertical separation.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide