locked Re: blank line reading by NVDA

The ways to get round this are as follows.

1.  for a book balabolka can convert it to mp3 for you using tts.

Pros it gets rid of the issues.

Cons you get a huge file with no way to keep your place except for pause or marking places in.

You could convert it to daisy I guess but still.

And if your tts is no good you have an issue.

At any rate I have listened to a book read by tts and its not as good as a human reading it.

2.  convert it to an epub and have you read it with your epub or other daisy reader.

Again overkill but you can do it.

Finally if you do have a daisy player and most of you guys should have something, at least most if not all blind people that are members of a library or something for your spaciffic blindness organisation will have access to some sort of player.

That can read text files and can keep place in those automatically.

They will ignore blank lines and I often do this for big books.

They also have good tts but again that is tts.

You could also try to get audio books but they cost more than text and can be bigger again.

The issue of long documents well you may have to put up with it.

On 9/10/2019 7:56 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
This conversation interests me because it seems to me that two different things are being talked about.

Luke's solution uses a regular expression where the word "blank" itself must be matched, using anchors at each end.  But the original question seems to me to be about lines that contain nothing but a return, that is, a completely blank line, so that if someone typed line one, followed by two hits of Enter, followed by line two it would be read as, "Line one blank blank line two," by NVDA.

It does not seem to me to have anything to do with the word "blank" or its equivalent in any language, so I don't know what I'm missing, if anything at all.

Now using the regular expression:  ^\s*$
with nothing substituted for it should find any line that is blank, whether it's just someone having hit Enter, or any whitespace character followed by enter, and would say nothing if that's found.

If the literal word "blank" were to appear all by its lonesome on a single line it would be read, correctly, as blank.

One would definitely not want to be using this method when proofreading something written in a text editor, as you'd never know if you'd put in paragraph breaks or how many times you'd hit enter when trying to create vertical separation.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide