locked Re: blank line reading by NVDA

George McCoy

I don't find anything in preferences that turns off pronunciation of blank lines.

George

On 10/8/2019 5:58 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Well when I have a blank line its a space and a couple of linefeed chars.

I know a few older programs use carage return, in fact when I was in dos you had cr, lf and cr/lf, but its all lf now.

Now you can turn blank lines off if you don't want them, but be aware that if you need em, you will have to turn them back on.

You could make a profile for whatever program you don't want the blanks announced, in configuration profiles on nvda preffs and then you can just use that, when you open a program that setting will trigger and you will be ok.

If you have to frequently read a text file especially if its done for you, ie its not needed to handle it via say the computer and you don't say need to edit it, say a book, I'd use the daisy hardware reader of choice.

Or daisy software, some can read text files via sapi or something.

As I said there are many ways to handle this.

On 9/10/2019 11:48 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 06:37 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
By then an empty line isn't the empty string, it is the word "blank" which is what NVDA needs the user to hear.
After all that precedes what's quoted above (which, by the way, I appreciate), this is the crux of the matter.  I had not realized that NVDA was doing anywhere near to this level of "massaging" to the straight text before passing it to the synthesizer, particularly when all one is looking for is for the text to be read in the manner I presume I'd read it were I reading it to someone.

I understand why, when doing line by line, the blank lines get announced as blank as, to me, that's part and parcel of why one is going line by line - to pick up just this sort of thing.  What I didn't realize was that during NVDA's pre-processing of a blank line it had actually substituted the word "blank" to pass to the synthesizer.  I would have thought that if reading line by line the first thing that would happen is checking the custom dictionaries for the line to be passed, and that line alone, and if it were substituted with nothing, as in there is no replacement string, that nothing would be passed to the synth.

I don't code NVDA, clearly, and it appears that you do.   Information such as you've offered, and clearly, makes the process much more transparent, if convoluted, to me.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide