Auto alt text with Chrome.

First, yes, I am well aware this is so Google can get more data from websites. A part of me has trouble caring, honestly. If it results in a free product and free services, well, that's a price I'm more than willing to pay. Anyway, the below is a support page on this new Chrome feature and below the page will be NVDA instructions on how to enable this. I doubt Microsoft will enable this because they are more privacy conscious, but here's instructions anyway.

The support article in question.

NVDA Instructions.

  1. Navigate to a page you know has images without alt text.
  2. get your NVDA cursor to the unlabeled image.
  3. Hit Shift, F10, to bring up the context menu.
  4. Expand the sub-menu, get image descriptions from Google.
  5. Select either only for this site or for all websites. I chose all websites.