Re: [NVDA pronouncing "County" as "Company" in address line

Quentin Christensen

You can do this via the speech dictionaries.  To edit the dictionary:

1. Press NVDA+n to open the NVDA menu
2. Press P for preferences
3. Press enter or d for default dictionary, v for voice dictionary or t for temporary dictionary:

  • Default: rules in this dictionary affect all speech in NVDA.
  • Voice: rules in this dictionary affect speech for the synthesizer voice currently being used.
  • Temporary: rules in this dictionary affect all speech in NVDA, but only for the current session. These rules are temporary and will be lost if NVDA is restarted.

  • 4. Press alt+a to add a new rule
    5. Type "co." (with the dot but without the quotes)
    6. Press tab
    7. Type the new word (county)
    8. Press enter
    9. Press TAB four times to get to the OK button
    10. Press ENTER.

    More information on the dictionaries here: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/NVDA/documentation/en/userGuide.html#toc75

    Kind regards

    Quentin.

    On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra <cearbhall.omeadhra@...> wrote:

    Hi,

    I wonder if anyone can advise how I can get NVDA to say “County” when it meets the contraction “Co.” in an address line?

    I am using “ETI Eloquence” as my speech engine in NVDA 2016.2 and Windows 10.

    This is the common way to present the County in both the UK and Ireland. For example, I live in County Wicklow and this is represented in my address line as “Co. Wicklow”. However, NVDA says “Company Wicklow” every time!

    How can I fix this?

    All advice and thoughts are welcome.

    All the best,

    Cearbhall