Windows 10 App Essentials 19.10.2 on October 1h, next update requires NVDA 2019.2.1 #addonrelease

Hi all,

Windows 10 App Essentials 19.10.2 will hit the air on October 18th (as of time of this writing, tomorrow). This version includes a subtle change to emoji panel support to make it align with several pull requests sent to NV Access.

IMPORTANT: 19.10.2 will be the last version to support NVDA 2019.1, with 19.11 requiring NVDA 2019.2.1. This decision was made to ease the transition to NVDA 2019.3 from this add-on later this year. As I noted from a few months ago, a future version of Windows 10 App Essentials (not 19.11) will require NVDA 2019.3 for reasons not related to Python 3 – there were changes made in NVDA 2019.3 which makes certain features and workarounds from this add-on unnecessary. Coupled with preparing to end support for October 2018 Update from this add-on in January 2020, I felt it is way easier to assume you’re using latest NVDA public release ahead of schedule to make my life less complicated (I know I sound selfish, but given tons of changes between NVDA 2019.1 and upcoming 2019.3, it makes sense; for instance, there is a new handy function in Windows version module (introduced in 2019.2) that makes it possible to easily detect if you’re on Windows 10 or a specific revision of Windows 10, and NVDA 2019.3 will announce correct product information and version for universal apps, something the add-on currently includes for older NVDA releases).

As for Windows 10 App Essentials and NVDA 2019.3 (specifically, requiring 2019.3), I’ll announce when the switchover will occur after 2019.3 beta is released.

Cheers,

Joseph