Re: Touch cursor support

Kevin Huber

Hi Pete:

It depends on what application you are in. All review modes are not
available in all applications.
For example, if you are in the desktop, you will only have Screen
Review mode and Object Review mode, but not Document Review Mode,
since there is not document to review, while on the other hand, when I
am typing this message, I have Screen Review mode, Document Review
mode and Object review mode, since I am creating a document.

I hope that explains your dilemma.
Kevin Huber

On 7/23/16, Pete <emac00@cogeco.ca> wrote:

insert numpad 7 does not cycle threw options for me

the first press gets me screen review the second press gets me no
previous review mode

insert numpad 1 works simularly the first press gets me object
review and the next pres gets me no previous review mode

This is using nvda latest running on windows 7 64 bit pro.

Pete

On 7/1/2016 8:14 PM, Gene wrote:
It's easier, in my opinion, to demonstrate how object navigation works
than to try to explain it. After it is demonstrated, an explanation
might be helpful but I learned how to use object navigation by
experimentation with very little reliance on explanations.
Do the following:
This discussion uses the desktop keyboard layout. I don't use the
laptop layout and am notfamiliar with it.
Issue the command numpad insert numpad 7. That is, hold numpad insert
and while doing so press 7. Do this until you have moved through the
review options you can move to in that way. Then move back using
numpad insert numpad one. Stop at object navigation.
Now, open some simple program everyone has on their computer. Let's
use Notepad.
Write the word "test."
Now, issue the command numpad insert numpad 4. You will move from the
document window to another part of the program.
Now issue the command numpad insert numpad 6. You are back in the
document window again. You have moved first to a different object,
then back to the document window, the object you started on.
Now issue the command numpad insert numpad 8.
You have moved out of the document window and are now at an object
that says untitled notepad window. Move up again with the same
command. I'm not sure what you will hear depending on your version of
Windows. You may hear desktop window. Try moving to the left and
right by object with numpad 4 and 6. At least on my machine, I hear no
next, no previous.
So move down one level again with numpad insert numpad 2. On my
machine, I can't move to the left but I can move to the right from
where I am. If I move to the right enough times, I get to untitled
notepad window again.
Move down once to get back into the Notepad program. Start moving to
the right, I don't think you can move to the left. If you move enough
times, you will be back in the edit field with the word test you wrote
awhile ago.
The point is that you first moved to the window, then continuing to
move down you moved into the window and then moved right object by
object until you got back into the edit field.
Experiment and look around. You may find that by looking around and
experimenting, things start to make sense as you conceptualize what
you are doing as you move.
Try moving around using the move left and right commands and moving up
and down and then using the move left and right commands. Note that
you can move to a lot of structures. Some you can move into and some
you can't because you are already in them.
If you get lost, you can always return to the program window where you
started by alt tabbing out of and then alt tabbing until you return to
the window.
This demonstration may not explain things technically precisely
accurately in terms of definitions. I'm not sure I know exactly how
to explain everything technically accurately. The point is to
experiment and get a concept of what you are doing by experimentation
and observation.
This may or may not allow you to understand everything. But this kind
of experimentation, along with working with a good tutorial section
that explains object navigation may allow you to understand it.
Also, note carefully that if you leave NVDA set to screen review, you
can't review the screen accurately much of the time if you intend to
move somewhere and then use the standard review commands such as
numpad 8 read current line. You must have NVDA set for object
navigation to have review work reliably. I have said before that most
NVDA users don't and won't understand this and that you should
automatically be returned to object review when you leave the window
you are in. I still feel strongly about this.
Gene