Re: Station playlist

Hi all,

After investigating the issue posted by Robert and trying to think of a way to resolve it, I came to a point where I must say, I give up. The issue is as follows:

In StationPlaylist Creator, you can create track categories for scheduling, and from within a category, you can filter tracks based on criteria. The issue is that this criteria screen isn’t usable by screen reader users: dynamic handles, no labels, inefficient accessibility layout, and so on.

The issue calls for “creating” (or rather, generating) labels for unlabeled controls. One way is screen review emulation (where text around the location where the cursor is will be looked up), generating labels based on loops (where NVDA will loop through a screen and generate labels for various controls if possible), and perhaps other tricks. Although any of these may yield results, one particular solution (looping) will affect NVDA’s responsiveness to some degree (I personally care a lot about responsiveness, and I prefer not to resolve accessibility problems if it affects NVDA’s responsiveness and user experience in a negative way). In the past, I and other broadcasters reached out to developer of StationPlaylist Creator, and it appears part of the problem lies with the toolkit in use (StationPlaylist Creator and Studio uses Delphi, thus NVDA can use MSAA/IAccessible API; at one point, the developer hinted at using UI Automation, but noted that it requires toolkit upgrades which is very risky).

I know how important it is for users of StationPlaylist Creator to have a usable user experience, at least via StationPlaylist add-on which I’ve been developing and maintaining for the last six years. But given the situation described above, I feel I may just give up on Creator (at least certain features in Creator); besides, I’m in a moment in life where I need to truly scale back my efforts in maintaining StationPlaylist add-on.

Therefore I would like to sincerely request that the NVDA community do the following:

1. Please petition Ross Levis, the creator of StationPlaylist suite to invest more in accessibility based on feedback from screen reader users, especially when it comes to various unlabeled controls in Creator.
  2. Please help me by finding or training someone who is willing to maintain SPL add-on in the future (in case I hand over the add-on to the community; it will certainly happen, but don’t know exactly when). Part of the reason why I maintain this add-on is due to love for broadcasting and a thrill of maintaining an add-on that changes lives (even though I don’t actively use StationPlaylist suite), and tend to be one of the skilled add-on authors around and knows StationPlaylist suite to a point where I can come up with workarounds and features. Ideally StationPlaylist add-on should be maintained by broadcasters who are actual experts in this broadcasting suite and skilled in add-on writing, but as of 2019, only a handful have the willingness to do this (actually, nobody else).

Thanks. At least for now, to Robert, I’m sorry to let you down.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:18 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Station playlist

Hi,

Subscription address is:

Nvda-spl+subscribe@nvda-spl.groups.io

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of lynn white
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 1:00 PM

Hi Joseph,

How do you subscribe to the NVDA SPL list?  Thanks.

On 10/17/2019 2:42 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Let’s discuss this further on the NVDA-SPL list, because I need slightly more time to go through this topic.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:08 PM

If it would help I could send you the tutorial I have that talks about creator. Jonathan Mosen did it.

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?***     

Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:37 AM

Hi,

If I get to know that area (and learn how to use it), perhaps. Specifically, I need to know procedures, what’s not working, and how should the add-on work there.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:28 AM
Subject: [nvda] Station playlist

By chance is the addon set to work in the criteria area for SPL creator.

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?***     

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.