From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 5:05 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Hi Quentin,

Thank you so very much. I have been wondering what changes we will have in the new build. I like how the start area sounds being able to use first letter navigation to get through the all apps, and having three columns in the start area. Is the settings app laid out pretty much the same, or does the settings app have new categories, sub categories with in each category and so on?

Thanks a lot, and I am really excited for next week.

David Moore

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 7:26 PM

Hi Steve,

To be honest, one of the biggest changes I have found, is that the start menu is now three columns wide.  The left column has user account / file explorer / settings / power, the middle column has recent apps then all apps (first letter navigation jumps straight to first app of that letter in full apps list), and the right column has the windows 8 style tiles.  You can still only pin to the right column but at least you can press the context menu to get recent files for any program there now which is nice.

What annoys me is that to shut down from here involves:

1. Windows

2. tab (takes you to the left column first, if you'd press down arrow you'd have started moving down the middle app list column).

3. down arrow four times.

4. enter

5. down arrow

6. enter.

If you want to do it quicker, you can press WINDOWS+X , press U then U again, or windows+m to go to desktop then alt+f4, or just press the power button on your machine (I know that last one is easiest of all, I've just never got into the habit of doing it as that used to be strongly avoided due to data loss :)

There's a new dark mode which you can get to without a registry hack now which affects mostly just settings but does make it a bit easier for some.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:39 AM, Steve Hoad <mainefun40@...> wrote:

This is a major update for Windows 10 being released August 2.  I know
the update is out in Beta and many features have been changing since
the earliest release.  Since these updates load automatically, are
there things we should be aware of as NVDA users?
Here's an article from "The Verge" released Monday July 25 at about 9 A.m. EDT.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269736/microsoft-windows-10-anniversary-update-features-review

--
Steve Hoad

--