NVDA's OCR not working on Facebook.

John Isige

Hi all. I might have asked about this before, but if there was an answer, I don't remember it. I'm using NVDA 2019.2.1, Windows 1903 64-bit with the latest updates, Firefox 70.0 64-bit. I'm going to m.facebook.com. As the subject says, OCR doesn't work for me on Facebook. Here's a post, as it appears to me. I apologize for the potentially political content, it's literally the first post with a meme/picture that showed up in my scroll.

"Fun fact - data works.
Pro-Choice win. Pro-Life win. Teen win. State win. Taxpayer win.
So. Much. Winning.
CrabDiving Podcast
Truth bomb
Image may contain: 1 person, text"

If I highlight the image, i.e. the line that says "image may contain", and hit NVDA-r, it says it's doing OCR, and I get a blank window, in other words, nothing has been recognized. If I click on that link, and then click on the "view full size" link that comes up, and maximize the window, and do OCR after making sure I'm highlighting part of the image, I get nothing. However, if I *save* the image and run KNFB Reader on it, I get this.

"Ally Maynard @missmayn In 2009, Colorado began offering teens free IUDs without parental consent. Within 8 years teen pregnancies dropped 54%. Teen abortion rates fell by 64%. For every $1 spent on the program the state saved $5.85 in labor and delivery costs, child-care assistance and food stamps. There is a reasonable and logical way to lower abortions. 97.940 notes"

Am I doing something wrong? If not, any ideas why this isn't working? I'm using Windows 10 OCR, I uninstalled the OCR addon when 10's OCR happened but just in case I checked, and it's definitely not installed. I see a *lot* of stuff like this from people, memes with text that is, and it's getting really annoying. At least if I can find out what it's about, I can be annoyed by the actual content or block them or make fun of them or such, as the occasion demands. In case it's helpful, here's the giant link to the image, it spans multiple lines.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/74351464_2244231525681008_7493424837126258688_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&_nc_oc=AQk1EhxXkOMSYw-gGSB9IWjhw5wu5TE01qUv7AqzBZFBUsDNjeZbE8cfEC98kFttaUE&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=94b846952425ed0317bc7b4cd7630cda&oe=5E5E379D