Re: NVDA's OCR not working on Facebook.

John Isige

This is Windows 10 built-in OCR, not the addon.

On 10/30/2019 17:16, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi again

Is it the one with windows 10 or the add on? if it is the second one
then you had to use the text review cursor on the numeric keypad to
read what had been ocred.

Gene nz

On 31/10/2019 8:08 AM, John Isige wrote:
Thanks, I've heard of that and it's good to know it works. But I'm using
Firefox, not Chrome, and I'd really like to figure out why NVDA's  OCR
isn't doing what it's supposed to. I wonder if it's even working,
because I tried running it in an app the other day and got nothing out
of it. I assumed it was just something it couldn't recognize, but now I
wonder if it's just not really doing anything.

On 10/30/2019 13:23, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

This may not help or it could.

if you are using the google browser while on any page hit the
applications key then arrow down to get image description from google.
It will then give you 2 options once only or always.

I leave mine on always  It will do your whole page if there is no
description on any of the images etc. If left on will do it for all
your pages.

There is a message that comes up after you pick always just agree to
it and you are right to go.

It can always be turned off the same way but pick once.

There is a tutorial and audio one so you can hear what it does on my
nvda tutorials for other programs page.

Just look for get image describer from google in the list.

Gene nz

On 31/10/2019 6:26 AM, John Isige wrote:
If I'm using the post itself, I arrow to the part that says "image may
contain". If I open the link, I arrow until I'm in the middle of the
stuff that says "graphic" and some URL gibberish. I'm pretty sure the
images are displayed in my feed because I think I've had my wife
look at
some, but I can get her to check tonight.

On 10/30/2019 0:25, Sascha Cowley via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi there,

I haven't experienced the problem you're having, and when I navigate
to that link and run OCR I get correct output.

In terms of why just running OCR on the original link to the image
doesn't work, it may be that the image isn't being displayed. I use
mobile Facebook in Firefox, too, and can visually confirm that, for
me, images aren't loaded in newsfeed, but I can't remember if I
had to
change a setting for it to be that way.

When you say you highlight the image, what do you mean? I can
literally just open the link and run OCR, since it is just an image.

Regards,

Sascha

On 30/10/2019 16:05, John Isige wrote:
Hi all. I might have asked about this before, but if there was an
answer, I don't remember it. I'm using NVDA 2019.2.1, Windows 1903
64-bit with the latest updates, Firefox 70.0 64-bit. I'm going to
m.facebook.com. As the subject says, OCR doesn't work for me on
Facebook. Here's a post, as it appears to me. I apologize for the
potentially political content, it's literally the first post with a
meme/picture that showed up in my scroll.

"Fun fact - data works.
Pro-Choice win. Pro-Life win. Teen win. State win. Taxpayer win.
So. Much. Winning.
CrabDiving Podcast
Truth bomb
Image may contain: 1 person, text"

If I highlight the image, i.e. the line that says "image may
contain", and hit NVDA-r, it says it's doing OCR, and I get a blank
window, in other words, nothing has been recognized. If I click on
that link, and then click on the "view full size" link that comes
up,
and maximize the window, and do OCR after making sure I'm
highlighting part of the image, I get nothing. However, if I *save*
the image and run KNFB Reader on it, I get this.

"Ally Maynard @missmayn In 2009, Colorado began offering teens free
IUDs without parental consent. Within 8 years teen pregnancies
dropped 54%. Teen abortion rates fell by 64%. For every $1 spent on
the program the state saved $5.85 in labor and delivery costs,
child-care assistance and food stamps. There is a reasonable and
logical way to lower abortions. 97.940 notes"

Am I doing something wrong? If not, any ideas why this isn't
working?
I'm using Windows 10 OCR, I uninstalled the OCR addon when 10's OCR
happened but just in case I checked, and it's definitely not
installed. I see a *lot* of stuff like this from people, memes with
text that is, and it's getting really annoying. At least if I can
find out what it's about, I can be annoyed by the actual content or
block them or make fun of them or such, as the occasion demands. In
case it's helpful, here's the giant link to the image, it spans
multiple lines.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/74351464_2244231525681008_7493424837126258688_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&_nc_oc=AQk1EhxXkOMSYw-gGSB9IWjhw5wu5TE01qUv7AqzBZFBUsDNjeZbE8cfEC98kFttaUE&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=94b846952425ed0317bc7b4cd7630cda&oe=5E5E379D

--
Image NVDA certified expert
materials at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

To find out which library networks in New Zealand have a copy of the
NVDA screen reader on them and there library locations please go to
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nz%20libraries%20with%20nvda.html
To find a NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following
link https://certification.nvaccess.org/
<https://certification.nvaccess.org/>. The certification page contains
the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world,
who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.