Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:31 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Actually just a little update from my message - it's not that Cortana isn't available for my phone apparently, but that it isn't available in Australia yet.  Not sure when it might be, I've asked Microsoft and will let you know if I hear back.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
The settings are laid out pretty much the same as they were.  They have tweaked how large DPI is handled and also I have a new monitor so it now appears as a column instead of a grid on my screen, but otherwise looks similar enough.

Mostly the whole things looks similar to how it looked before with a few tweaks here and there and some things work better and some have new features.  Cortana for instance has new features which I can't comment too much on as to be honest I never really use it :)

You can apparently get Cortana to show notifications from your Android device, which is nifty and you can reply to text messages and things, although apparently it's not compatible with my phone (it's fairly old - another reason for me to get a new phone!) so I can't test it directly just now.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 10:04 AM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:
Hi Quentin,
Thank you so very much. I have been wondering what changes we will have in the new build. I like how the start area sounds being able to use first letter navigation to get through the all apps, and having three columns in the start area. Is the settings app laid out pretty much the same, or does the settings app have new categories, sub categories with in each category and so on?
Thanks a lot, and I am really excited for next week.
David Moore

Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 7:26 PM

Hi Steve,

To be honest, one of the biggest changes I have found, is that the start menu is now three columns wide.  The left column has user account / file explorer / settings / power, the middle column has recent apps then all apps (first letter navigation jumps straight to first app of that letter in full apps list), and the right column has the windows 8 style tiles.  You can still only pin to the right column but at least you can press the context menu to get recent files for any program there now which is nice.

What annoys me is that to shut down from here involves:
1. Windows
2. tab (takes you to the left column first, if you'd press down arrow you'd have started moving down the middle app list column).
3. down arrow four times.
4. enter
5. down arrow
6. enter.

If you want to do it quicker, you can press WINDOWS+X , press U then U again, or windows+m to go to desktop then alt+f4, or just press the power button on your machine (I know that last one is easiest of all, I've just never got into the habit of doing it as that used to be strongly avoided due to data loss :)

There's a new dark mode which you can get to without a registry hack now which affects mostly just settings but does make it a bit easier for some.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:39 AM, Steve Hoad <mainefun40@...> wrote:
This is a major update for Windows 10 being released August 2.  I know
the update is out in Beta and many features have been changing since
the earliest release.  Since these updates load automatically, are
there things we should be aware of as NVDA users?
Here's an article from "The Verge" released Monday July 25 at about 9 A.m. EDT.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269736/microsoft-windows-10-anniversary-update-features-review

--
Steve Hoad

--