Re: NVDA adding and changing settings

Chris Mullins

Hi

I have been using screen readers for years, though not WindowEyes, and cannot remember a time when i relied on a “document saved” message appearing.  When editing a document in Word or Notepad, Control+s is the shortcut to save your document without exiting from it.  Using this shortcut implies that you want to save your document contents at that point. If you then use alt+f4 to close the document, it will close. 

If your document contains unsaved changes and you try to close it using Alt+f4, you will get a message asking if you want to save the document or not  .  At this point you have 3 choices:

you can press the ‘Save’ button – saves the document and closes it  

You can press the ‘don’t Save’ button – Closes the document without saving it. **

You can press the ‘Cancel’ button – returns focus to the document which remains open.

** Word contains options to auto-save a document at timed intervals whilst editing.  If this feature is active, when choosing not to save, you may get a further choice to disregard all changes or only those made since a particular auto-save point.

So, in a nutshell, if you want to be asked if you want to save or not, don’t bother with Control+s, just press alt+f4.   If there are unsaved changes you will get the Save/Don’t Save dialog, if you haven’t changed anything the document will close.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Grant Metcalf
Sent: 7 November 2019 07:06
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA adding and changing settings

Hi Arlene,

Using Notepad in Win7 the control-s command saves my document. What I do not hear in NVDA is the question “do you want to save the document” and the statement “document saved.”

I use Window-Eyes and it tells me what I want and like to hear! I was doing some editing earlier this evening using NVDA and found other differences on the QBraille display I use. If and when it becomes necessary to only use NVDA it will take some getting used to on my Win10 PC since it does not use Window-Eyes. There are days when Grandpa DOS wishes he could go back to DOS again!

Thanks for your reply.

Listening for His shout!

Grant

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.