Re: NVDA adding and changing settings

Gene

You can't ever assume anything when you issue a command without feedback.  I issue commands, now and then and, even though I issue them correctly, I have to issue them again.  But there is a way to check very easily.  Close the document or the program and see if you are asked if you want to save the changes.

And we are discussing what happens in terms of no feedback when you save an already saved document.  We don't know if the person is discussing that or discussing the lack of a save as dialog the first time a document is saved.

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 9:44 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA adding and changing settings

I never ever hear document saved, never have ever since I started learning how to use doss in 1994 or so. But yeah control s and if you hear nothing you can assume the document has ben saved.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 7 Nov 2019, at 3:56, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi

I have been using screen readers for years, though not WindowEyes, and cannot remember a time when i relied on a “document saved” message appearing.  When editing a document in Word or Notepad, Control+s is the shortcut to save your document without exiting from it.  Using this shortcut implies that you want to save your document contents at that point. If you then use alt+f4 to close the document, it will close.

If your document contains unsaved changes and you try to close it using Alt+f4, you will get a message asking if you want to save the document or not  .  At this point you have 3 choices:

you can press the ‘Save’ button – saves the document and closes it

You can press the ‘don’t Save’ button – Closes the document without saving it. **

You can press the ‘Cancel’ button – returns focus to the document which remains open.

** Word contains options to auto-save a document at timed intervals whilst editing.  If this feature is active, when choosing not to save, you may get a further choice to disregard all changes or only those made since a particular auto-save point.

So, in a nutshell, if you want to be asked if you want to save or not, don’t bother with Control+s, just press alt+f4.   If there are unsaved changes you will get the Save/Don’t Save dialog, if you haven’t changed anything the document will close.

Cheers

Chris