From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Friday, 15 November 2019 09:29
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA: QUESTION

You haven't missed anything Christo, and yes we'd normally have the third release out by now and be working on the 4th.  We're making a couple of big changes under the hood for 2019.3 - they shouldn't be too obvious when running NVDA, but they are key to future works:

- Speech Refactor will make it easier to update speech in future (eg to add earcons or reorder speech)

- Moving to Python 3 is crucial, as Python 2 is about to reach end-of-life and will no longer be supported from early next year.  Also, people who have learnt to code Python in recent years will have learnt Python 3 so this will make it easier for them to get involved with NVDA.

These changes have necessitated updates to many add-ons, and to ensure that users are not left without working add-ons, we are not rushing NVDA 2019.3 but have been working with add-on developers to ensure everything transitions as smoothly as possible for everyone once NVDA 2019.3 does come out.

If you're curious about your favourite add-ons, you can view this list compiled by Joseph Lee (Thanks Joseph!) on the Add-ons site: https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdapy3.en.html

You can also download the latest NVDA Alpha snapshots from https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/ to try them out.

At this stage, we're expecting NVDA 2019.3, when it comes out, will be the last release this year.  We know everyone likes a new release, but we're sure you like a stable release more so that's what we're determined to bring you :)

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 5:10 PM Christo Vorster <christo.vorster.klavierstem@...> wrote:

Hi Group

I have missed quite a lot of messages, thus the following question

Currently I have version 2019.2.1 running. I got used to the fact that, by this time of the year, version .3 was out and we were awaiting version .4. I am just curious regarding what is the situation.

I don’t have a problem with 2019.2.1, but am just curious.

Thanks for the stunning work you all are doing.

Regards

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager