Then I would ave to install Jaws just for the test, and I'dd rather not do that. There's a reason why I switched to NVDA: It just meets my needs a lot more.

Best,
Henk

Op 19/11/2019 om 01:56 schreef Gene:

As a test, have you considered using a JAWS demo?  If the problem isn't corrected quickly enough, and if the program works with JAWS, a monthly JAWS license might meet your needs.

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA freezes in IntelliJ

I am aware of the accessibility history of IntelliJ. It is getting better though. Partly because Android Studio is also based on IntelliJ, and for Android Studio they do seem to work a little bit on accessibility.
For me the choice for IntelliJ is more because that is what's being used in industry. Since all my colleagues use IntelliJ, and Eclipse does not support the way our project is organized, I rather use what everyone else is using (if possible).
However the problem I have is not with IntelliJ accessibility. I think there is a problem with NVDA and the Java access bridge in general. I was hoping that someone might have a solution to that.
I'm also using JDK8, since that's what I require for our project. I am running the latest update (JDK/JRE 1.8.0_231), so I assume I also have the most up-to-date access bridge included.

Best,
Henk

Op 18/11/2019 om 21:27 schreef Jaffar Sidek:

HI.  IntelliJ Idea has had problems with accessibility since time immemorial.  Perhaps you would consider eclipse?  Or if it is Android programming you are in to, then Android Studio?  Those aren't the best accessibility wise, but they do work much better with NVDA.  Also, you might want to check if you have the Latest version of the Java SDK as they concequently come with the latest version of the Java Access Bridge.  I have no idea of the degree of accessibility of versions later then version 8 though because I have stuck to Java 8 and all it's builds since it's inception.  Cheers!

On 11/19/2019 12:19 AM, Henk Mulder wrote:
Hello Gene,

Unfortunately that won't help. IntelliJ is a Java application. Therefore you need the Java Access bridge in order to be able to use it with NVDA. The problem is that the Java Access Bridge will only load if the accessibility service is running. Thus if NVDA is not running while I start the application, I won't be able to work with the program since the access bridge isn't loaded.
On a similar note: if you restart NVDA while working with the program, you also lose the access bridge and need to restart the program as well.

Best,
Henk

Op 18/11/2019 om 16:19 schreef Gene:
What happens if you unload NVDA, run the other program, then run NVDA again?

Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 3:33 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA freezes in IntelliJ

Hi,

Using NVDA 2019.2.1, NVDA randomly freezes when I open IntelliJ IDE
(Community edition 2019.2.4).
When it happens, NVDA hangs and won't report anything (also when
switching to other applications with alt+tab). Also IntelliJ hangs and
will not open the current project. The only thing I can do is to start
Windows Narrator, which does keep working, and end the IntelliJ process
via the task manager. When the IntelliJ process is killed NVDA unfreezes.

Is there a way to make sure, or to increase the chance, that I can start
IntelliJ without NVDA and IntelliJ locking each other?

When NVDA is back I have the following snippet in the log viewer:

WARNING - watchdog._watcher (10:08:48.759):
Core frozen in stack:
   File "nvda.pyw", line 231, in <module>
   File "core.pyo", line 519, in main
   File "wx\core.pyo", line 2134, in MainLoop
   File "gui\__init__.pyo", line 1003, in Notify
   File "core.pyo", line 489, in run
   File "IAccessibleHandler.pyo", line 889, in pumpAll
   File "IAccessibleHandler.pyo", line 663, in processFocusWinEvent
   File "IAccessibleHandler.pyo", line 534, in winEventToNVDAEvent
   File "NVDAObjects\IAccessible\__init__.pyo", line 46, in
getNVDAObjectFromEvent
   File "NVDAObjects\__init__.pyo", line 85, in __call__
   File "NVDAObjects\IAccessible\__init__.pyo", line 412, in
findOverlayClasses
   File "JABHandler.pyo", line 707, in isJavaWindow

Best,
Henk