Re: Helping the Con team. Was: Re: [nvda] NVDACon, recordings and my handout

Luke Davis

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, Gene wrote:

I don't know what audio work you are looking for.  I am an excellent editor and I do other typical things such as equalize files.  I assume you are working
with MP3 files and I use MP3 Direct cut so I can edit and save the edited versions of files with no loss of quality.
No offense intended Gene, and I don't want to spawn an audio discussion, but I had to address that. If you do anything other than cut an MP3 file--if you equalize it, if you do some compression, if you do volume normalization or balancing, or anything else that actually alters audio--and then save it as another MP3 file, there will be a loss of quality. Especially if you do any intermediate saves. MP3 is a lossy format, and any time you convert to 32 bit floating point PCM in order to work on it, which as far as I know all audio editors do internally, and then save it back out, there is further loss during the down-conversion to MP3.

The only way to work on audio with no loss of quality (by work, I mean do anything beyond cutting out sections which does not have to re-encode), is to work on the original wave files if available, but in any case to always save intermediate steps in a native uncompressed format.
Every time you edit and re-save an MP3,, you are making a slightly more blurry copy of an already blurry copy. That is why exporting to MP3 is the very absolute last step of any mastering operation.

Okay, that's drifting significantly, but I felt like it needed to be pointed out.

Luke