Re: Refreshable Braille Display Help #msftaccessibility #NVAccess

Felix G.

Hello,
sounds like an interesting project. A lot of success with this!
Right now there is no way to develop hardware to be immediately
compatible with NVDA. You will need to write a driver. But before you
start panicking, you won't need to write any Windows drivers in kernel
mode. If your device is a HID or serial port device, you implement
your protocol on top of those. So technically what you will write is
more of an interface than a driver.
For starters, you will want to read:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/AddingSupportForABrailleDisplay
Some Python knowledge will be useful.
All the best,
Felix Gr├╝tzmacher

Am Mo., 25. Nov. 2019 um 18:10 Uhr schrieb <just1brill@...>:

Hello,
We are a group of students entering our country's top science exhibition, doing our project on refreshable braile displays, as we were interested in the idea of making the computer more accessible to all. We came across NVDA and found out it was perfect for what we stood for and needed.

But, we are having trouble making our board compatible with NVDA and was wondering if anybody could guide us on how it could be done or if it can be done at all. I understand this may be quite a complex topic, especially over messaging, but even help on where to turn to for advice would be great. We understand that other displays have been made compatible also.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated and would be extremely beneficial.

Thanks