Re: NVDA and Outlook message status

Christo de Klerk

I actually thought there is an icon in front of each message in the Inbox message list which indicates whether a message is unread, read, replied or forwarded and another showing that the message has an attachment. I assumed that Jaws and Window-Eyes interpreted these icons correctly and would then speak the appropriate status when you arrow up and down the message list, whereas NVDA does not interpret all correctly. NVDA indicates unread messages, but does not say that a message has been forwarded, neither, if memory serves, if a message has been replied to. In other words, I think this is probably an NVDA issue rather than an Outlook issue.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2016/07/27 5:27 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
This is a peculiarity with Outlook (or at least Outlook 2010, which I think has been carried over). Virtually every e-mail client or web interface prefixes a forwarded message subject with either "Fwd:" or "FW:" and that gets read when going through the message list.

Outlook strips that from the message subject and I have yet to figure out how to make it stop doing that. I have just posted a question to answers.microsoft.com and hope to learn more about how this might be changed back to the more conventional behavior where the forward and reply indicator text is left in place on the subject display.

I haven't used Outlook on a regular basis in years and hadn't realized it did this until I fired up my copy of Outlook 2010 to take a look at what is happening.