Re: Virtual review and cmd / power shell

Richard Wells

I successfully virtualized the Power Shell terminal using Virtual View running Windows 10 1909 with the following description of the add-on itself.

Add-on Information

[Content]
Virtual Review (virtualRevision)
Version: 2.2
Author: Rui Batista <ruiandrebatista@...> and NVDA Addon Team
Description: Provides a simple reviewable dialog of the text of the currently focused window.

URL: https://addons.nvda-project.org

And here are the contents of the virtual window itself.

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

On 11/27/2019 10:02 PM, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:

The problem here is, I can normally bring up the virtual review window under win 7 cmd.

But not under win 10.

This is why I want to bring that into attention, and see if this is a bug or not.

Joseph Lee 於 27/11/2019 23:13 寫道:

Hi,

Technically, it does not replace screen review, especially if modern apps are involved. This add-on will do what JAWS’s “virtualize current window” command does: presents screen content (almost the entire screen content) as a virtual viewer so one can review text. In modern apps such as ones found in Windows 8 and later, this add-on will gather content text by traversing through all screen elements (or almost all elements) and collect labels and present it on screen.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 7:07 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Virtual review and cmd / power shell

I don't know enough about virtual review to comment on that.  It sounded to me from the description and from the name that it duplicates screen review but are you saying that isn't the case?  I was saying that it evidently allows you to search the screen which is a feature no NVDA review mode has and thus, it shouldn't be described as just a convenience.  But it would be good to clarify if it duplicates screen review but with different commands or does something else.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:55 AM

Hi,

Maybe we need to update the description to say that it is useful in modern apps where screen review isn’t working.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:56 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I just read the description of the add-on.  The sentence near the beginning that says that it is just for convenience and doesn't replace the NVDA review methods appears to be inaccurate.  Assuming that this is equivalent to screen mode in NVDA, it has an important ability that screen mode has never had, nor object navigation.  You can't search for content in either of those modes.  You have to look at the screen or move through the screen line by line to get to something. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 3:17 AM

You need to install the virtual review addon as this is not a built-in
NVDA function. You can get it at
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/virtualRevision.en.html.

On 27/11/2019 19:36, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:
> Hi all,
> Under Win 10,
>
> After running cmd or power shell,
>
> If I press nvda ctrl and w,
>
> it didn't show the virtual review window,
>
>
> Could anyone advice me how to fix this?
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> William
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.