Re: Why does NVDA say selected instead at times?

Gene

Combo box is a term I've used for years and not thought about much.  I'm not sure why it is called a combo box.  I don't see what combination a standard one does.  You up and down arrow to select something and if they are designed in certain ways, you have to open them to stop them from taking actions when you move to an item with the arrow keys.  I can see why a combo edit box would be called that, since it can be used in two different ways.

Since this is no longer an NVDA discussion, are you on the chat list?  I'd like to see if you can answer my question about why they are called combo boxes but after that, I suppose we should take further discussion off list, if there is any further discussion.

Sent: Monday, December 02, 2019 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Why does NVDA say selected instead at times?

It's not a combo box. It's a combo edit box, like the suggestions on Google search. Standard combo boxes don't allow users to type a value in, but the run dialog does, obviously. Selecting any option from the list causes the value to be placed immediately in the text field of the run dialog. The options in the combo box portion of the control serve as autocomplete options. The run dialog in Windows has actually been this way since Windows 95.

On 12/1/2019 3:19 PM, Gene wrote:
Perhaps.  I wonder if this is information Microsoft is presenting.  It doesn't sound like something NVDA would do.

I should correct an error.  I initially said the run dialog presents a list.  It’s a combo box but it evidently is not a standard one.  I don't know how they look but combo boxes don't usually announce items as selected.

Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2019 2:48 PM

I actually have no idea. Perhaps someone else with more knowledge on that side of things can explain.

On 12/1/2019 4:55 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm curious what changed in NVDA.  It didn't used to do that.  I don't know when it started.

Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 10:56 PM

This happens because text in the run dialogue is selected by default when the dialogue opens. When you use the up and down arrow keys to move through the history of commands you have entered, the text changes, but the selection remains. Windows simply puts the new text into the text field every time you press up or down, but the text never gets unselected before being changed.

On Nov 30, 2019, at 4:38 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I updated to Windows 7 Service pack 1 recently to try to solve a problem which wasn’t solved in that way.  I had put it off because there was a version of a program I can’t run after the update.  It’s a little less convenient but I can run a newer version and I almost never run it anyway.

Which is to explain why I hadn’t played with newer versions of NVDA for a good while.  But now, I’m curious about something.  When I am in the run dialog and up and down arrow in the list of things I have run, NVDA says the word instead off and on.  It might say Notepad selected, then if I down arrow, it might say c:\audio selected instead or maybe Wordpad selected instead.  This isn’t consistent and it doesn’t do this in Windows Explorer.  I’m curious why that is.

Laughingthunder

--
Laughingthunder

--