Re: accessing embedded video links in Power point slides

Quentin Christensen

Hi Payal,

There are several different ways of inserting videos.  Depending on how it was inserted, PowerPoint treats it differently when running the presentation.  To be honest, from what you've described I'm not exactly sure how they created it.  If you can get it to work though, that's good :)

Linking to other powerpoint files from within one file is not something I would generally try to do.  If it works, I guess that's one way of doing things, but it seems messy.

Copying things out of PowerPoint can be done in a couple of ways depending on what you need.

If you go to Outline view (alt+w, p, o) you can select all (control+a) then copy (control+c), move to Word and paste it (control+v).  It won't necessarily paste everything, but in general, it should copy most titles, and possibly some content (again, PowerPoint is not very consistent, and it depends on the content).

You could also move to the top of your presentation, and on the first slide, select all, copy and paste into Word, come back, press page down, repeat.  Graphics don't always copy nicely, but text is often ok.

If what you really want is a set of notes to work off when presenting, you can use F6 to jump between sections until you get to the notes section, type what you want for each slide, and then when you run the slideshow, press CONTROL+SHIFT+S to toggle between NVDA reading the slide content, and the speaker notes.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:15 PM Payal Kapoor <payal69@...> wrote:
hi Quentin,
here is my response to the questions you've asked. thought i'd break
them up into two parts.
Q: When you say link to a video, do you mean a text URL or link on the
slide, or do you mean an embedded video?  When you activate a link it
will open your browser to the specified URL.  An embedded video has a
preview of the video (a still image, similar to that shown on
thumbnails in Youtube etc) with a triangle play button), when you
activate it, the video plays there in the slideshow without opening
another program.
P: There is no real text link, only some image and text saying video.
when coppied on to a word doc, it says hyperlink, but, no real URL. i
am not sure what that would be ccalled. it is however, not an external
source, but links to a folder that has all the relevant videos. i was
told it links there and plays.
essentially, it is an entire presentation made by sighted folk at my
work place that is used for training. i am the first blind person
attempting to use it. it contains two different PPTs for two different
programmes we run. also, it has other training material we access from
within the whole thing.
Q: Activating links is a bit problematic and sounds like what you are
encountering.  To activate a link on a slide, press TAB to move to it
- NVDA reports nothing - and then press ENTER.  Out of curiosity,
since you mentioned trying it with Jaws, did you have trouble with
Jaws as well?  (That would help narrow down the issue - if it works
fine with Jaws, it could be NVDA not responding correctly to the link
- if it doesn't work any better with Jaws then it's more likely to be
PowerPoint not exposing it correctly).
P: I think what you have said about the problem with accessing links
is exactly what i'm having trouble with. however, i noticed that when
the PPT is in slide mode, where more specifically, i activate the edit
mode by pressing enter when in the specific slide, the link appears
alongside the video. arrow down to it, choosing the open hyperlink
option in the applications menu, voila! the video began playing.
i was told that this option cannot be used when making a presentation,
since it is not visually appealing or as good as it is in the
presentation mode.
the presentation mode won't show me a link,and when pressing enter
there brings a prompt saying-no pointer available; choose a pointer.
back to the application menu, but this time, all the pointer options
do nothing.
JAWS did nothing different either. in fact, NVDA allowed me to see the
link; JAWS didn't. that might also be due to the old version of JAWS i
have installed on my laptop.
also, could you tell me how can i copy the contents of the slides, so
i have it in a word doc to refer as notes rather than opepning the PPT
eacj time? i did try the universal copy paste command, but strangely
nothing showed up.
this  is definitely a deterrent in being able to run presentations
visually for sighted folk when training. i hope we find a resolution
to it soon enough.
thanks for the help.
Best,
Payal