Re: Add-on issues after system restore on Windows 10

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah I use back blaze so all of my system except for exe and app my programs folder are backed up. I don't really mind as all I would need to do is reenter my keys which I keep backed up in 3 places. Ask on nvda sub group chat if you want to know more about backblaze.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 6 Dec 2019, at 8:41, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 11:32 AM, Cordelia Scharpf wrote:
Is a "twin drive system" an external disk drive onto which you would save a copy an image of your Windows application every week or so? If so, this can be configured to be done automatically in specific intervals, can't it?
That's pretty much it, though the secondary drive can also be internal, but I don't recommend that.

At one time it was standard practice to have one's system image backup drive constantly connected and one's backup & recovery software set up to take full system image backups and/or incremental backups at specific intervals.  Since the advent of ransomware, this is no longer recommended practice (unless you're using a cloud-based backup solution such as Carbonite, to name but one) because ransomware will encrypt each and every drive it can find that's currently connected on a given system, sometimes even on a given network once it finds the first entry point.   The last thing in the world you want is for your system image and/or user data backup drive or drives to be encrypted during a ransomware attack, as then they cannot serve their intended purpose.  Current best practice is to have a backup drive connected in only two circumstances:

1.  You're taking a backup.

2.  You're restoring from a backup.

Otherwise, they should be offline.

         ~ Robert Frost, The Black Cottage (1914)